Constructor: Kameron Austin Collins
Relative issue: Medium to Medium-Difficult (popular culture would possibly get ya)
Phrase of the Day: The BARNES (28A: Philadelphia artwork museum, with “the”) —
The Barnes Basis is an artwork assortment and academic establishment selling the appreciation of artwork and horticulture. Initially in Merion, the artwork assortment moved in 2012 to a brand new constructing on Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The arboretum of the Barnes Basis stays in Merion, the place it has been proposed to be maintained beneath a long-term instructional affiliation settlement with Saint Joseph’s College.
The Barnes was based in 1922 by Albert C. Barnes, who made his fortune by co-developing Argyrol, an antiseptic silver compound that was used to fight gonorrhea and inflammations of the attention, ear, nostril, and throat. He offered his enterprise, the A.C. Barnes Firm, simply months earlier than the inventory market crash of 1929.
At present, the inspiration owns greater than 4,000 objects, together with over 900 work, estimated to be value about $25 billion. These are primarily works by Impressionist, Publish-Impressionist, and Modernist masters, however the assortment additionally contains many different work by main European and American artists, in addition to African artwork, antiquities from China, Egypt, and Greece, and Native American artwork.
Within the Nineties, the Basis’s declining funds led its leaders to varied controversial strikes, together with sending artworks on a world tour and proposing to maneuver the gathering to Philadelphia. After quite a few court docket challenges, the brand new Barnes constructing opened on Benjamin Franklin Parkway on Might 19, 2012. The muse’s present president and government director, Thomas “Thom” Collins, was appointed on January 7, 2015. (wikipedia)
• • •
I loved a variety of this. Positively a fixing journey, undoubtedly worthy of its Saturday place (difficulty-wise). It is a very musical puzzle, and a culturally wide-ranging puzzle, with as many solutions from popular culture (esp. pop music) as there are from what you would possibly name “excessive tradition” or “fancy shmancy tradition” (you recognize, ballet, theater, artwork, classical music, ART FILMS, NASCAR, that type of stuff). Fairly humorous / becoming to place METHUSELAH over DEAR OLD DAD—I like little touches like that, even when they’re unintended. The one reply that actually made me shake my head “no” was (paradoxically?) START A BLOG. That’s a solution that’s going to and EAT A SANDWICH as quickly because the present is over—a Hail-Mary type of blank-A-blank phrase. Though … perhaps that is simply self-hatred coming by way of. The extra I stare on the reply, the extra it seems standalone-worthy. GRABABITE, EATAPEACH, STARTABLOG … nah, nonetheless just a little on the weak facet for me. Really wrote in START A BAND at one level, which appears stronger. I simply could not get “publish” to imply something musical, sadly. Bjork had an album known as “Publish,” as did Paul Kelly, however … effectively, again to the puzzle. Oh yeah, one different factor in regards to the puzzle I did not totally groove on, and that is the clue on SWIM (1D: Get within the ___), and I am realizing now that it is as a result of I actually really need the phrase to be “get within the SWIM of issues,” and that is as a result of I (I feel) am complicated SWIM with SWING. Are they completely different expressions, these? Totally different in which means, I imply? That reply gave me a variety of hassle proper up entrance, and was a giant a part of why I used to be a sluggish starter as we speak. That, and I forgot the Ariana Grande music and had God not as a WOMAN however as a COMIC, which is Elvis Costello, and never even right on that entrance, as a result of the Elvis Costello music is “God’s Comedian,” so God has a comic book, quite than is one. However I (Actually) Digress.
I needed to depart the NW to get any actual traction, and eventually ended up discovering some within the north, after making an attempt SALADS and YAP, I attempted MACARONI (solely half rings!) earlier than utilizing ALOHA to get CALAMARI (13A: Some rings on a plate) after which I backed my manner again to the NW from there.
- 14D: Very, informally (MAD) — I hope at the very least one individual within the blog-reading universe on the market remembered that I wished MAD a number of days in the past for this exact same clue, when the reply was WAY. I truly discovered myself sitting right here making an attempt to Bear in mind My Personal Weblog in order that I may get this reply, LOL.
- 43D: Supergroup at Woodstock, familiarly (CSNY) — Crosby, Stills, Nash & Younger, simply in case that was unclear.
- 33A: Blast from the previous (A-TEST) — A or N or H work, however solely “A” works after the “B” from BARNES, so for as soon as, no hassle with the blank-TEST reply.
- 17A: Identify synonymous with longevity (METHUSELAH) — simply admitting that I had a spelling uncertainty right here on the second “E,” however now that I have a look at the identify, “E” is fairly clearly the precise possibility, in that SELAH can stand alone, and so simply seems … extra proper than SALAH.
- 49A: World Broad ___, nickname of an N.B.A. energy dealer (WES) — I by no means truly noticed this clue. I assumed this was a reference to Russell WEStbrook. It isn’t. It is to a man named William Wesley, Government Vice President and Senior Basketball Adviser to the Knicks who will get name-checked in a variety of rap songs. He’s a giant deal, however it’s … bizarre to not have any a part of his precise identify, or employer’s identify, within the clue, contemplating he is not precisely Ariana- or Mariah-famous. Cool nickname, although. Knickname!
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld