For a fast abstract of the week’s information, Jessica Hancock will deliver you up to the mark with EN Dwell’s This Week in TTRPG each Friday.
Don’t neglect, you’ll be able to sustain with all of the week’s gaming information intimately with Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Speak. This week, Morrus and Peter speak concerning the NODES dungeon design system from the Dungeon Delver’s Information.
In case you missed it elsewhere on EN World this week:
- EN Publishing’s newest Kickstarter is the adventure compilation Til Death Do Us Part five different adventures focusing on romance, love, and the consequences thereof.
- EN5ider #463 features the Reforged, being created through powerful magic that fuses metal and flesh into a formidable opponent or invaluable ally.
- Tired of the grim, dank, depressing underworlds? Well the Dungeon Delver’s Guide for Level Up has an alternative in this new preview with the brightly colored fantastic world of Underland.
- Rob Weiland reviewed the newest entry in the World of Darkness setting, the updated rulebook for Hunter: The Reckoning.
- Egg Embry looked at the new Advanced Player’s Guide expanding the worlds for the crossover RPG using the Savage Worlds rules system for Pathfinder.
- Beth Rimmels reviewed the highly anticipated history book on the rise and fall of TSR from Ben Riggs, Slaying the Dragon: A Secret History of Dungeons & Dragons.
- Lewis Pulsipher’s newest Worlds of Design talks about the dirty little secret that makes RPG writing good: Editors.
- Michael Tresca talks about halflings and their evolution in the game over time, and how that’s to their own detriment.
- Mike Myler starts a new series highlighting different locations in space for Level Up sci-fi games, ENterplanetary DimENsions with the first world: Corzcunath
- Don’t miss out on the newest RPG crowdfunding projects ending soon with Egg Embry’s RPG Crowdfunding News.
- Keep up with all the new print RPG releases with Charles Dunwoody’s RPG Print News.
- Find the big TTRPG sales, bundles, and charity fundraisers with the RPG Bundles, Freebies, and Sales News.
Wizards of the Coast gave us quite a few teases and previews this week. First, it appears the 2024 update for Dungeons & Dragons is already underway as the D&D Executive Producer Ray Winninger tweeted about a meeting with Chris Perkins and Jeremy Crawford over the redesign. And according to the thread, “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”
But in something a bit more concrete though, we also got a big preview of the Spelljammer ships from the upcoming Spelljammer: Adventures in Space boxed set. The art preview features seven new splash pages of different style of ships highlighting the range of Spelljammers you can find in the game.
Also in more Spelljammer news, D&D Beyond released Spelljammer Academy, a series of four adventures meant to introduce those unfamiliar to the concepts of the Spelljammer setting. The first adventure, Orientation, is available now with the three more coming soon.
Fall in cadets! It’s time for your introduction to Wildspace! Spelljammer Academy is a series of four adventures that will prepare you for your journeys into space, and it’s available to you at no cost with your D&D Beyond account. In the first adventure, you’ll undergo your orientation at the Spelljammer Academy, where you’ll learn whether you have what it takes to traverse the deadly expanse of the cosmos. Over time, subsequent adventures in Spelljammer Academy will drop. Unlock one adventure in the series and you’ll automatically receive the others upon their release.
You can get Spelljammer Academy free on D&D Beyond, and the boxed set Spelljammer: Adventures in Space is set for release on August 16 with a retail price of $69.99.
Roll20 and OneBookShelf, the parent company of DriveThruRPG, announced a merger deal this week. This deal brings the largest digital storefront for tabletop RPGs and the largest virtual tabletop under the same corporate umbrella. From the announcement:
Today, Roll20 and OneBookShelf announced their plans to join forces, bringing together two of the world’s leading digital tabletop roleplaying (TTRPG) content platforms. Roll20 is already the world’s most popular virtual tabletop platform for roleplaying games, providing a digital space for over 10 million users to play TTRPGs daily. OneBookShelf manages eleven ecommerce marketplaces, most notably DriveThruRPG and Dungeon Masters Guild, and is the premier online vendor for the TTRPG industry. The deal empowers players to manage content across platforms for nearly any tabletop game, connect more easily with other players, and step into games immediately, all in one place.
The three way partnership brings collectively a celebration of 40 technical wizards devoted to enhancing product, code, and person expertise. Within the coming weeks, the brand new entity will add PDF help to Roll20’s digital tabletop (VTT), giving GMs and gamers the flexibility to add, learn, share, and instantly play utilizing any PDF within the VTT. At a later date, the businesses will make OneBookShelf PDF libraries accessible throughout the Roll20 digital tabletop expertise, and are committing to make sure that OneBookShelf PDFs is not going to rely towards Roll20 storage quotas.
The assertion goes on to say that Ankit Lal will proceed in his function as CEO of Roll20 which he took on in January of this yr, whereas OneBookShelf CEO Steve Wieck will be a part of the governing board and govt workforce at Roll20. You’ll be able to learn the complete assertion right here for extra particulars.
The nominees for the 2022 ENnie Awards have been introduced this week. The Choose’s Highlight winners are:
- Dwelling by Seb Pines revealed by Good Luck Press
- Stack of Goblins by Jack Milton revealed by CobblePath Video games
- Shanty Hunters by Tristan Zimmerman revealed by Molten Sulfur Press
- Kobold Information to Monsters by Monte Prepare dinner, Wolfgang Baur, Mike Mason, Crystal Frasier, Mike Shea, Shanna Germain, Steve Winter, and lots of extra revealed by Kobold Press
- Wickedness by M. Veselak revealed by Possum Creek Video games.
You’ll be able to learn the complete record of nominees on the hyperlink above, however for the massive title of Product of the 12 months nominees are:
Voting begins later at present and continues via July 24 on the ENnies web site. The award ceremony can be held on the Crowne Plaza Union Station Grand Corridor at Gen Con in Indianapolis, IN, on August 5 beginning at 8:00 PM Jap.
Modiphius introduced the “2d20 Summer time of Gaming” with an enormous announcement: The 2d20 System is getting an SRD. The SRD will open the system as much as third events to create their very own video games and variations of the core system together with the flexibility to monetize and publish their works. The SRD can be out there for obtain on July 20. As well as, Modiphius is having a 20% off sale on all their 2d20 core merchandise from their webstore lasting simply two days beginning at 2:20 PM BST July 20 and ending 2:20 PM BST July 22. Lastly, in partnership with StartPlaying.Video games, Modiphius is working a contest for gamemasters. All GMs working no less than two video games on the StartPlaying.Video games participant discovering platform can be entered to win certainly one of three $100 reward certificates for the Modiphius retailer with one extra grand prize winner receiving $1000 to spend on Modiphius video games. Extra info and knowledge on how to enroll can be out there on the “2D20 Day” web site.
A brand new weblog publish from Steven Marsh of Steve Jackson Video games is as a lot a warning as an replace for the RPG trade. Like many supplies, paper costs have elevated sharply over the previous couple of years with a pointy enhance just lately. This may have essentially the most rapid affect on print-on-demand titles, which incorporates a lot of the GURPS again catalogue as POD releases are retaining a lot of the product line in print. In an addition to the publish, Phil Reed confirms that manufacturing prices have risen in simply the previous two months for a number of merchandise. Each suggest that if there are any print-on-demand merchandise clients need, it might be higher to buy them sooner somewhat than later earlier than the market forces a elevate in cowl costs.
Catalyst Sport Labs partnered with Humble Bundle for a Shadowrun Sixth World bundle. Whereas there are three ranges, the primary two are extra for many who have already got the core guidelines and wish to fill out books they’ve missed. Nonetheless, the highest tier of $18 contains the Shadowrun Sixth World Core Guidelines Metropolis Version together with fifteen different sourcebooks, occasion books, character possibility books, gear books, and adventures which counts for nearly the entire books launched thus far for the latest version of Shadowrun. This bundle advantages Motion In opposition to Starvation and runs till Thursday, August 4.
That’s all from me for this week! Don’t neglect to help our Patreon to deliver you extra gaming information content material. When you have any information to submit, e-mail us at email@example.com, and you may get extra dialogue of the week’s information on Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Speak each week. You’ll be able to comply with me on Twitch to get notifications once I go dwell, subscribe to Gamer’s Tavern on YouTube for movies on gaming historical past, RPG evaluations, and gaming Let’s Performs, or you’ll be able to hearken to the archives of the Gamer’s Tavern podcast. Till subsequent time, might all of your hits be crits! Observe: Hyperlinks to Amazon, Humble Retailer, Humble Bundle, and/or DriveThru might comprise affiliate hyperlinks with the proceeds going to the writer of this column.